September 28, 2018 – It’s tempting to consider do-it-yourself foundation repair. You figure you can save money if you do it yourself and you consider yourself pretty handy around the house. The problem is you are likely just putting a band-aid on a much bigger problem. All over the internet and TV today you find websites and programs with DIY steps for fixing foundation problems. Most people do not have the tools that it would take to do what really needs to be done for foundation repairs.
Why DIY isn’t the Way to Go
Your foundation is literally the most important part of your home. Most people are focusing on the cosmetic parts of their home, like paint, flooring and fixtures. These very well might be good DIY projects for homeowners. When it comes to your foundation however, you really don’t want to go the DIY route. Here is why:
1. It is hard to tell when foundation problems are leading to foundation failure. A homeowner should know the signs including bowing and leaning walls, floor cracks, wall cracks, drywall cracks, foundation cracks, leaning chimneys, water stains and leaks, and doors and windows that stick. But do you know when foundation failure is imminent? It takes a specifically trained specialist to really know how serious the problems you have are and what the root cause is of those symptoms. Special training is required to recognize these types of problems and the level of seriousness involved. So know the symptoms and make sure to act accordingly.
2. You foundation can make or break the value of your home. Your foundation really is the most important part of your house. When an inspection is done on your home if you are trying to sell it, the inspector should be able to assess and foundation repair needs, and it WILL affect the value of your home.
3. You likely don’t have the right tools to perform foundation repairs. Many websites claim to offer DIY foundation repair “kits”, but slapping some carbon fiber on a wall crack may not be all that you need. Some foundation repair jobs require piering products or underpinning products to lift or level a foundation. Some foundation repairs require grout or epoxy injections performed under high pressure. These require special equipment to complete. Some job sites even require excavation to get to the root area of the problem. Again, you really won’t know until you contact a foundation repair expert. Peak Structural is the expert foundation repair contractor in Southern Colorado, Denver metro and the surrounding areas. Contact us today for a FREE assessment!
4. You could cause yourself injury or cause additional damage to your home. It’s okay to admit you might not know how to fix your foundation cracks, or bowing and leaning walls. It is a lot better to admit that than to hurt yourself because you don’t know what you are doing. It is also very possible that you could make your foundation problems worse by not knowing what you are doing. There is no DIY foundation repair important enough to cause yourself injury or further home damage. If you aren’t sure, or if you are following steps on a website or from a kit to do your foundation repairs, you probably don’t have the skills required to do the job safely.
5. You might cost yourself more money in the end. Number 4 leads right into number 5. If you aren’t sure what you are doing, you could cost yourself a lot more money in the end. It is possible that you try to fix your own foundation and when it doesn’t work, a foundation specialist comes in and has to undo what you tried to do to fix your own problem. This can result in higher costs for your foundation repairs. Your wallet is definitely something to consider when it comes to do it yourself foundation repairs.
Skip DIY Foundation Repairs – Consult a Foundation Expert at Peak Structural
Of course, it is understandable to try to save yourself some money when it comes to home repair. No one wants to spend more money than they need to when it comes to foundation repairs. The good news is, Peak Structural has been doing residential foundation repair for over 16 years in Colorado, they are ranked A+ by the BBB and have won numerous awards for customer service. You can read over 500 reviews from customers just like you on Google, Facebook, HomeAdvisor, Angies List and much more! They will work very hard to find a foundation repair solution in your budget range. They also won’t try to find a problem where there isn’t one.
Not sure who to call for foundation repair on your Colorado property? Peak Structural is your local foundation repair contractor providing quality solutions all types of foundation problems with patented solutions and lifetime warranties!